We all hate cleaning the oven and if you’ve ever seen the horrors that lay in my oven, you would too.
I have to admit that when we first got married and I moved into my husband’s home, he’d never cleaned his oven since he moved in and that had been a good 3 years before we met!
So when I eventually decided to clean the oven, I knew I wanted a natural clean way to do it as traditional oven cleaners give me a headache.
After much research, I came across the Baking Soda and Vinegar method.
These 2 natural ingredients are natural cleansers and miracle workers for all sorts of cleaning tasks, and they don’t give me a headache!
WHAT YOU NEED
- Dirty Oven
- Baking Soda
- Vinegar (Not the type in the supermarket)
- Old Newspaper
- Paper Towel
- Spray bottle
If you watched my Insta Story on my Instagram account then you’ll have seen the method from start to finish but basically you:
- Mix Baking Soda with water to make a paste. Not too thick and not too runny.
- Smear the paste using a spoon / your hands / paper towel all over the oven walls and the bottom of the oven.
- Leave it to work it’s magic for at least an hour, ideally overnight
- Fill the spray bottle with vinegar using the funnel as the vinegar bottle is usually quite big.
- Lay some newspapers down on the floor as there will be a huge mess that goes everywhere when the gunk comes out.
- The vinegar and baking soda will react with each other and fizz, this is a good thing! It means it’s working.
- Wipe the oven with paper towels or a dry cloth and scrape the gunk out.
- You may need to use some kind of scraping tool to get stubborn debris off the oven floor but it will come off more easily than trying to scrape it dry.
- Once you’ve taken everything off, use a damp cloth to get rid of all remnants of baking soda and vinegar.
A clean, nice smelling oven that isn’t going to poison you!
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU CLEAN YOUR OVEN?
Ideally, ovens should be cleaned every 3 – 6 months, but it really depends on how often you use it and how much it gets dirty in between.
My advice is to note the date that you cleaned it and put in a reminder for 6 months later so that you don’t forget to do it on your calendar.